Department of Shalyatantra
Post Graduate Facility is available in this Department
(Intake - 6 Students per year)
Teaching Staff :-
- Dr. Bhalchandra Neelkanth Deshpande (B.A.M.S., AVP-Shalya, Shalakya, Diploma in Shalakya) - Professor & HOD
- Dr. Madhavi Sanjay Banarase (B.A.M.S., M.D.) - Associate Professor
- Dr. Bharat Kailash Oza (B.A.M.S., M.S.) - Associate Professor
- Dr. Rohit Venkatrao Pethkar (B.A.M.S., M.S.) - Assistant Professor
Department of Shalyatantra which refers to surgery is one of the most important department in this Institute. Shalyatantra is a branch of Ayurveda invented by the Father of Surgery - Maharshi Sushruta, which deals with surgical procedures.
The Shalyatantra department, being a clinical department has two components, one in the College & one in its attached hospital i.e. Ayurved & General Hospital.
Department of Shalyatantra in College :-
It is a very spacious, neat & fully furnished It comprises of various teaching tools like Charts, Models, Library etc. The hallmark of the department is its beautiful museum that boasts of various specimens collected from the surgeries performed exclusively in the Ayurved & General Hospital.
Department of Shalyatantra in the Hospital :-
The hospital has a fully functioning department having a well equipped OPD & IPD sections, Casualty & State-of-the-Art Operation Theatre complex.
The O.T. complex comprises of a major O.T., a minor O.T. & a special section for Ksharsutra (An unique treatment modality from Ayurved for Ano. rectal disorders). The O.T. is equipped with Ultra Modern Instruments like Hydraulic table defibrillator, electro-cautery etc. A camera is mounted over the O.T. table to demonstrate live surgical procedures to students on television.
The Team :-
The department is spearheaded by Dr. Bhalchandra N. Deshpande, Professor & HOD, a very senior and veteran surgeon, having a vast experience of more than 17 yrs. He has performed more than 4000 surgeries independently in this Institute.
Under his guidance the other team members namely Dr. Madhavi S. Banarase (Asso. Professor), Dr. Somnath E. Shende (Lecturer), Dr. Jaishree S. Kharolkar (Lecturer) & Dr. Bharat P. Oza (Lecturer), are doing most of the surgeries independently.
The super specialty consultants regularly visit the hospital & perform respective procedures including onco surgery, laparoscopic surgery & endoscopic surgeries.
Aims & Objectives :-
- To strive continuously to become the no. 1 Institute in field of Ayurved education.
- To increase the surgical acumen of the members of Shalya Department.
- To increase confidence in UG & PG students regarding surgery.
- To bring in light the essence of the most ancient & comprehensive medical science i.e. Ayurveda (Specially Shalyatantra)
- To emphasize on continuous research.
- A prominent centre in field of Ayurveda education in Maharashtra (India)
- Running P.G course from 3 years successfully
- More than 5000 surgeries performed with a negligible complication rate. These include - Laprotomy, Laproscopic surgery, Hernioplasty, Appendicectomy, Wertheim's Hysterectomy, APR etc.
Courses Offered :-
- M.S. (Shalyatantra) - 3 Yrs. full time course.
- Certificate course in Ksharsutra.
Future plans :-
- Increasing surgical capabilities thereby being able to master the advances in surgery i.e. Endoscopy & Laproscopy.
- To emphasize on inter-disciplinary & collaborative research.
Research Areas :-
Department is very keen on research. Our P.G. students are already working on various research areas for their dissertation.
In future emphasis will be given on following research topic.
- Prostate enlargement
- Peripheral vascular disorder
- Carcinoma breast